(DAKAR) – A senior official at Doctors Without Borders said that Ebola outbreak causing severe damage in West Africa is now totally out of control, and also that the medical organization has tried its maximum to respond.
On Friday, Bart Janssens, director of operations for the medical group in Brussels, said that the government and the international organizations involved should send some more health officials and increase public awareness by educating them in how to limit the spread of this disease.
The disease spreads via contact with body fluids, such as sweat. Moreover, the disease spreads even by coming in contact with an infected person.
Pierre Formenty, a World Health Organization specialist, said that the recent rapid spread of Ebola in the three countries of West Africa have been associated with less efforts to contain the virus.
According to Janssens, the outbreak is not yet over, and it might end up as the most lethal outbreak so far. He further said, “The reality is clear that the epidemic is now in a second wave. And, for me, it is totally out of control.”
Armand Sprecher, a public health specialist at Doctors Without Borders, said, “This is the highest outbreak on record and has the highest number of deaths, so this is unprecedented so far.”
The figures of June 17 indicated that there had been 528 registered cases of Ebola, which include probable, suspected and confirmed cases. Out of these 528 reported cases, 337 are dead. The deaths have mainly been reported in Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia.